What Is a Longline Bra?
A longline bra is a type of bra that has an extra piece of fabric that extends below the band and ends around the top of the belly button.
This makes it popular for both its support and its ability to provide an extra slimming effect to the torso.
Bras like this became popular in the 40s and 50s, eventually fizzling out in the 60s and 70s, but making a return during the 80s and into the modern day.
If you currently don’t have a longline bra in your wardrobe, here is everything that you need to know before buying one.
The Pros and Cons of a Longline Bra
- Can provide a slimming effect
- Good support for all breast sizes
- Can smooth and reduce the appearance of armpit and back bumps
- Women with short torsos will need to ensure the fabric isn’t too long
- Women with wide-set breasts will need to take note of the cup shape
Although the benefits are considerable, the downsides are something to pay mind to when shopping for the best longline bra for you.
Short torsos can still make use of these bras by opting for ones made with less fabric, and those with wise-set breasts will fare well with cups that help to push the breast towards the center to avoid having them pushed further apart, resulting in a poor contour.
Who Benefits From Wearing a Longline Bra?
There are many different reasons why women choose to wear a longline bra, and if you’re unsure whether or not they are for you, here are some of the most common reasons that they are worn.
- Increasing the Size of Small Breasts: For women with smaller bust sizes, longline bras can actually help increase the appearance of breasts and make them appear a bit larger. Optimally, you should try to find longline bras with built-in padding so that you don’t have to worry about buying extra insertable pads and manually putting them in every time you wear your bra.
- Support for Larger Breasts: For those with larger bust sizes, longline bras can provide excellent support. Styles with thicker straps can also be much more comfortable on your shoulders, and they will be much less likely to dig into your skin, leading to discomfort.
- Controlling Bulges: In addition to slimming your torso, longline bras can also help reduce the appearance of bulges under the arms and on your back. This can provide a much more attractive silhouette and make many tops and dresses look more fitted.
- Accentuating Curves: For curvy women, these bras can also accentuate curves, providing an hourglass silhouette that many women love. You can also choose from padded or non-padded options to customize your comfort and your final look.
Styling a Longline Bra
When you choose the best longline bras for you, you may be wondering about the best pairings and the best ways to style them. Fortunately, there is no shortage of creative ideas.
- Formal Wear: Longline bras are perfect for wearing under any formal wear. From dress shirts to wedding gowns, longline bras will give you the support you need while also shaping your curves to accentuate your frame.
- Under a Sheer Top: Wearing a longline bra under a sheer top is a great way to show off this fashionable brassiere while still keeping a bit of coverage. Styles like this have become increasingly popular as people enjoy flirting with bolder style choices.
- Under an Open Side Top: Open side tops are great for peekaboo moments, and you won’t have to worry about showing the sides of your breasts, as a longline bra will keep everything contained. This can be a great style for hot summer days, and it’s a fun modern look that many women are fond of.
- As a Top: If you want to go bold, wearing a longline bra as a top can be a great stylistic choice. You can pair it with a cardigan or wear it as is. The choice is up to you!
- Over a Top or Dress: If you have a dress or tight-fitting top or bodysuit, you can also wear your longline bra over them. Depending on how well your longline bra fits, you may not even need to wear another bra under your shirt, as the support you have will be enough. This pairing is very versatile, and you can totally get as creative with it as you want.
Versatility and Comfort
Longline bras can be found in many different styles, and there are many different ways that you can pair them.
Nevertheless, despite what types you choose, some things remain the same. All longline bras can provide excellent support, including support for your back, which can be especially important for women with larger cup sizes.
Sports versions also provide this incredible support while also being practical and easy to wear on their own. While some women may mistake longline bras for being constricting, in truth, these are some of the most comfortable bras you can add to your wardrobe, and they aren’t something you should overlook.
Now that you know everything about longline bras, you can start thinking seriously about adding them to your rotation.