Table of Contents
What is a Mesh Bra?
A mesh bra provides support and coverage just like a traditional bra; only it is made to be light with a see-through quality.
This means that it adds little — if any — extra bulk to your bustline and instead provides lift and smoothing without any thick padding.
Many women have taken to adding a mesh bra to their wardrobes, and for a good reason. Let’s take a closer look at everything this type of bra can provide.
The Pros and Cons of Mesh Bras
- Light Weight
- Breathable Material
- Good for Everyday Wear
- Supportive For Most Sizes
- Low-Quality Sheer Mesh Can Wear Out Quicker
- May Be Too Revealing For Some Women
- Won’t Hide Erect Nipples As Well As Traditional Bras
Features of a Good Mesh Bra
Mesh bras are available in many different styles, and because of this, it can be challenging to find out which is best for you.
Instead of buying multiple mesh bras to find your favorite, here are some features that you should look for.
Not all sheer bras are made equal, and just like with traditional bras, you’re going to want to look for quality over quantity.
When selecting a mesh bra, make sure that it is made to last so that you don’t have to worry about it wearing out too quickly.
A quality mesh bra is capable of lasting for a long time, but only if it is well made and cared for.
When looking for the proper mesh bra, you’re going to want to consider the level of support that you need.
Some mesh bras are made without underwires, which can lessen support for those with larger breasts.
If you need more support and structure, try to stick to mesh bras with an underwire.
Match Your Skin Tone
Because mesh bras are so sheer, they are easier to blend in with your natural skin tone.
A bra like this is always great to add to your wardrobe because it provides more versatility than more colorful options.
When shopping for a mesh bra, try to find one as close as possible to your natural skin tone. The best mesh bras should be available in most shades.
A Snug Fit
When looking for any bra, the fit is essential, and a mesh bra can ensure that the bra looks as seamless as possible under your clothes.
You don’t want it to be so tight that it digs into your skin, but it should fit comfortably without shifting up or having a gap.
Different Styles of Mesh Bras
Mesh bras are available in a wide variety of styles, and they can all have their uses.
When picking out the mesh bras that are best for you, you’ll want to know what the differences are.
Balconette Mesh Bras
Balconette bras come with slightly less coverage than a full cup but can offer a tremendous rounded appearance.
The straps are set wider apart than other styles. This type of bra is a good choice for those with larger cup sizes as it can offer good support and coverage.
Mesh Plunge Bras
Plunge bras have a distinctive low-cut center that makes them perfect for pairing with plunging necklines.
The cups are more angled than other bras and are perfect for highlighting natural cleavage.
Suitable for all breast sizes, even larger ones, plunge bras are great for when you want to wear a low-cut top but don’t want your bra cups showing.
Mesh Demi Bras
Demi bras are similar to balconette bras in that they have less coverage than a full-coverage bra, but they lack a dip in the center that you would find in a plunge or t-shirt bra.
These bras are designed to both emphasize cleavage and provide support with wires that fit snugly under the breasts.
Bralettes are designed to be both comfortable and casual. You can pair them with t-shirts or invest in a decorative one to let show through your top.
A tricky thing with these, however, is that most bralettes utilize sizing such as small, medium, and large, which can make finding the perfect fit a bit harder.
That said, this is one of the most versatile options, and you’ll find both practical ones and decorative ones on sale in many locations.
How to Pair a Mesh Bra
Mesh bras have become increasingly popular, and because of this, there is no shortage of creative pairings thought up by fashion influencers.
Because they are made from such seamless breathable material, they are easy to wear under almost anything, and some daring people have even used them as a stand-alone top.
Here are some of the best pairings to try for yourself.
- T-shirts: Mesh bras that match your skin tone can be perfect for wearing under even white t-shirts, and because they are so lightweight, they are less likely to stand out even under the tighter fabric. If you’re feeling bold, you can even try pairing a bright-colored mesh bra under a slightly transparent t-shirt for a little extra oomph.
- Oversized Sweatshirts: During the colder months, you can pair a lightweight and breathable mesh bra with an oversized sweatshirt for maximum comfort. Not only will this combination look good, but it will also feel great. Because these bras are so comfortable, you might even forget that you’re wearing a bra altogether.
- Loose Slouchy Tank Tops: Mesh bras are also great to pair with loose-fitting slouchy tank tops during the summer, and they can be a daring combination that provides just enough coverage. If you opt for a decorative mesh bralette, this can also give you the opportunity to show it off without having to make the bra a stand-alone top.
Now that you know all of the critical facts about mesh bras, you can get started finding your new favorite bra.