Founded in 1932, Playtex is one of the most well-known brands in the bra business. These bras were invented after Abram Nathaniel Spaniel founded the International Latex Corporation.
Its 18-hour bra was invented in the 1960s and remains one of the more well-known styles offered by this brand.
Here are some of the reasons Playtex remains popular with women all over the world.
The Playtex brand has been owned by Hanes, another underwear giant, since 2014, but its most well-known styles remain the same.
Table of Contents
Some of the features that make Playtex bras a trusted go-to include:
- Seamless: Playtex bras are seamless with light foam pads that make them easy to pair with many different fabrics. They’re not designed with a lot of frills and other textures that pop up under sheer clothes.
- Wide straps: Playtex straps are wide, and they are less prone to slipping than comparable brands.
- Full coverage: Many Playtex bra styles are full coverage, making them appealing for women with large breasts who like the support offered by a full cup.
- Good lift: Playtex makes styles for people who want a boost. The Beautiful Lift style offers more support and uplift, which is good for those whose breasts are beginning to sag or for people with naturally soft breast tissue who prefer a bra that perks them up.
- Multiple hooks: If you’ve ever had an issue with a band not staying put, these bras are a good option. Since they are thicker and have multiple hooks, they tend to sit comfortably all day.
Pros and Cons of Playtex Bras
- Trusted brand
- Comfortable enough to wear all-day
- Comfy straps
- Fuller coverage is hard to wear with lower cut necklines
- Not as supportive as other brands
- No option for those who prefer a lower cut bra
How to Choose the Right Playtex Bra for You
- Consider your outfit: Since many Playtex bras sit higher on the chest than other brands, you should try them on with a lower cut top. If you’re fond of v-necks and scoop necks, wear one to the store when you go bra shopping. Wear a tank underneath so you can see how the sides of the bra fit.
- Know your size: Playtex bras are pretty true to size, so you might be able to grab one off the rack and go if your size has been consistent for a while. Playtex does have bras made for people with larger breasts. If you’re a DD or higher, consider one of the Cross Your Heart bras.
- Select your finish: If you like a smooth, seamless bra that won’t show underneath a t-shirt, pick a style like the Perfectly Smooth. This one is flat and fitted making it inconspicuous with most outfits. However, if you’re choosing a bra for a sweater and other bulky winter clothing, you can get away with some texture.
Playtex also has cotton bras in its 18-hour collection. This style is more breathable than others. Since it’s made of cotton, it won’t trap moisture like synthetic bras.
The cotton bra is wire-free. You don’t have to worry about a rogue wire poking through the sheer fabric and digging into your skin.
If you’re an expecting or new mom, Playtex offers nursing bras with removable cups so you can nurse without a lot of hassle.
They also help guard against leaks. New moms who are dealing with nipple sensitivity can buy the Playtex sleep bra.
Since your breasts are likely still sensitive, this undergarment is a must to help you sleep more comfortably.
Playtex has been one of the most trusted names in lingerie for nearly 80 years. Its bras are comfortable and supportive with options that shape your body under a wide variety of clothing.
They are also affordable, so you can buy your favorite in multiple colors. For people who prefer demi-cups and plunging styles, Playtex’s selection is limited.
But if you’re looking for a go-to, comfy bra that you can wear all day without it digging into your skin, check out different Playtex options.